On November 11, 2022, the Port Commission awarded a contract to SSB Construction for the Deck Replacement Project at 2222 East Cliff Drive. The final building permit has been issued and an on-site pre-construction meeting was held on Thursday, August 31, 2023, at 11:00 AM, to introduce the project and provide an opportunity for tenants to ask questions and learn more about what to expect during construction.
We appreciate your patience and understanding as we complete this necessary project. This webpage will be updated periodically (at least once a week) with project progress and status updates.
Start Date: Monday, September 11, 2023
Duration: 13 weeks (timeline subject to change)
- Phase 1 / Area 1 - Southwest Corner 840 SF (9/11/23 - 10/9/23)
- Phase 1 / Area 2 - Southeast Corner 738 SF (9/27/23 - 10/25/23)
- Phase 1 / Area 3 - Northeast Corner 1,113 SF (10/13/23 - 11/14/23)
- Phase 2 - Northwest Corner and West Stairs, 1,110 SF (11/1/23 - 11/29/23)
- Phase 3 - North Stairs and Elevator Area, 265 SF (11/29/23 - 12/11/23)
The Contractor's working day activities shall be limited to the hours between 8:00 AM and 6:00 PM, Monday through Friday, excluding Thanksgiving (November 23 & 24).
The contractor will typically arrive around 7:30 AM, begin work at 8:00 AM, and end work between 4 PM - 5 PM on most days. It is anticipated that some occasional 10-hour days (no later than 6 PM) will be utilized to expedite portions of the project. No weekend work will occur.
Communication is key! Please contact SSB Construction or Port District staff immediately if you have any questions or concerns.
SSB Construction Contact List
In-person on site or call (831) 837-8579
John Martin, General Superintendent
Luis Salas, Project Engineer
Port District Contact List
firstname.lastname@example.org or (831) 475-6161 x22
Facilities Maintenance & Engineering Manager
email@example.com or (831) 475-6161 x25
firstname.lastname@example.org or (831) 475-6161 x21
This webpage will be shared with tenants and updated periodically (at least once a week) with project progress and status updates.
The project will generate noise and other temporary disruptions while construction is underway. Demolition work, which will occur during the first several days of each construction phase, will generate the most noise. Power tools will be utilized throughout the duration of the project.
In addition to noise, spray foam insulation and epoxy work will occur during each construction phase, which may generate unpleasant odors (odors should dissipate quickly in outdoor/ventilated areas). To prevent odor intrusion as best as possible, exterior windows and doors will be temporarily sealed during this phase of work.
Yes, the Harbor Public Meeting Room is typically available during the day and tenants will be given top priority.
Please email your reservation requests to email@example.com.
Yes, signage will be installed to make customers aware that businesses are open during construction.
Staff does not have the authority to grant a waiver or a reduction of rent, despite the difficult circumstances. Any such waiver would require Port Commission action/approval. If you are interested in submitting a formal request to the Port Commission for consideration, please submit it by September 19, 2023, for inclusion in the agenda packet for the upcoming regular public meeting on September 26, 2023.
September 19, 2023
The Port District’s contractor, SSB Construction, is currently ahead of schedule and has completed all demolition and framing work along the southwest corner of the building (Phase 1). Important upcoming dates:
- Spray foam insulation will be applied along the entirety of the south side of the building (ocean facing side) this Friday, September 22, 2023. This work will generate odor. To prevent odor intrusion as best as possible, exterior windows and doors will be temporarily sealed. After completing the spray foam insulation, new deck surface sheeting will be installed during the week of September 25. Application of the waterproof deck coating will follow.
- The temporary fencing and scaffolding that is currently erected along the southwest corner of the building will be moved to the southeast corner of the building early next week. This will allow for Phase 2 construction to commence. Plaza tables and chairs will be relocated accordingly.
If you have any questions regarding the upcoming schedule, please contact SSB or Port District staff.